Monday, December 31, 2012

Straight from the heart …



 “And she departed…leaving behind a volley of questions” – RIP Nirbhaya.

I am always inclined to take logical stand on any/all issues - seems to be the MBA effect. Be it anything, I must be skeptical at first and then clearly weigh all the aspects and then take a stand. I have somehow started feeling obligated to being structured, un-biased logical and non-spontaneous. And this shift from being emotionally driven to logically driven has been slow but extremely consistent over the years. Thanks to our education system my thoughts don’t always reflect my feelings. They usually take over to such an extent that many a times I have a lot of thoughts but no feelings towards many things. I don’t know if it’s good or bad. The more I think about it, I realize that being in touch with your feelings is something you can’t afford to loose.

The whole of India was beating along with Nirbhaya’s heart for the past two weeks. I, not being particularly engaged with anything, was busy analyzing everything that was going on via the news papers and channels. I always knew it’s not easy for girls in India but never really appreciated what it is like to grow up as a girl in Indian cities. This lack of empathy gave me the liberty to critically look at the whole issue and think how the clamor for capital punishment can be an immature one. I guess it’s completely different to know something and to feel something. Nevertheless, we keep learning. This topic came up during a conversation with a few friends. It was very obvious from the resentment and anger all of them shared over the issue that there is no scope for any discussion, there needs to be no debate, for the answer is clear and with full conviction – zero tolerance. I haven’t come across any lady who can confidently say that the situation is not as bad as it seems. This movement was long-long overdue. Conventional wisdom says we don’t take decisions while we’re upset. I think this is one of the situations where decision needs to be made now.  It is one of such issues where it’s better if logic goes for a toss. This decision has to be right from the heart and it’s pretty clear this time – enough is enough.


                                       

No comments: